Some of the most important features desired for any gene-silencing or manipulation tool are:
(1) Efficient knock down or regulation of the target RNA.
(2) Ability to bind to the target RNA (mRNA, miRNA or lncRNA) in a high sequence specific manner.
(3) No toxicity.
(4) Most importantly – efficient delivery without an external source (e.g. without a transfection agent, formulation, conjugate or viral vector).
Oligos designed using next generation FANA technology can effectively and efficiently perform all these activities.
Structures of (a) 2’F-ANA and (b) ANA, in comparison with (c) DNA and (d) RNA oligomers.
Key advantages of FANA Technology
• Gymnotic Delivery (Self-delivery): Uptake of the FANA oligos without a delivery agent. No formulation, conjugate or viral vector (like AAV) needed for delivery.
• Ideal for primary cells or difficult to transfect cell lines (no formulation, conjugate or viral vector needed for delivery). Works very well with hard-to-transfect cells especially primary cells which depict true biology (T- cells, B-cells, neuronal cultures and others)
• Ideal for in vivo studies (no formulation, conjugate or viral vector needed for delivery).
• Ideal for insect, fish, amphibian models (no formulation, conjugate or viral vector needed for delivery).
• Non-toxic and do no cause cell death. No need to grow excessive number of cells (typically there is a need to do grow excessive number of cells when we use transfection agents to compensate for high cell death caused by these toxic reagents)
• Resistant to degradation by serum and cellular nucleases significantly improves duration of activity. FANA oligos do not degrade (up to several weeks/months)
• Long term sustained silencing (can be used as an alternative for stable cell lines)
• Low non-specific protein binding decreases toxicity.
• Do not alter the biology of cells and the experiment (as in case of transfection and delivery reagents)
• Ability to bind to RNA target with high affinity and specificity.
• No RISC associated off target effects (as in case of siRNAs).
• Effective in low concentrations; high bioavailability.
• Excellent reproducibility.
• Saves significant time and resources.
• Cost effective.
• Super easy to use (very convenient).
• Cost efficient.
Want to know the latest on AUM's products? Sign up today to get the most exclusive discounts offers